The leaves are changing colour, the days are getting shorter, and the weather is cooler - autumn is in the air! And there's no better way to enjoy the autumnal season than with a warm and cosy apple pie.
This vegan apple pie is perfect for an autumnal evening. It's made with delicious autumnal fruits like apples, pears, and cranberries, and it's topped with a crispy crumble topping. Best of all, it's easy to make!
What Makes This Vegan Apple Pie the Perfect Autumn Recipe?
What makes this vegan apple pie the perfect autumn recipe? For one, it's the perfect autumnal colours. The golden-brown crust, the red and green apples, and the sprinkle of cinnamon sugar make this pie so pretty, you'll be hesitant to cut into it.
But that's not all. This pie is also perfect for colder weather because it's warm and cosy. The apples and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg create a lovely, comforting aroma as the pie cooks. Plus, the crumbly topping is the perfect contrast to the soft apples inside.
So if you're looking for a recipe that will transport you to autumnal bliss, look no further than this vegan apple pie.
The Key Ingredients in This Recipe.
There are a few key ingredients in this vegan apple pie recipe that set it apart from the rest. For starters, you need some Granny Smith or cooking apples. These tart apples work well in a pie because they're not too sweet.
Next, you need some sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to give the pie its characteristic flavor. And finally, you'll need a crust—either store-bought or homemade.
When it comes to the crust, there are lots of different options to choose from. Some people like to use a traditional pastry crust, while others prefer a gluten-free option. You could even use a crumb crust made from oatmeal or hazelnut flour. The possibilities are endless!
Why These Ingredients Work So Well Together.
You might be wondering why we chose these specific ingredients for our vegan apple pie. It's simple, really. They work well together and create a delicious end result.
For the crust, we used whole spelt flour and olive oil. Spelt is a delicious, nutty-tasting flour that gives the crust a really nice texture. And the olive oil adds flavor and depth.
For the filling, we used Granny Smith apples because they're tart and firm, with a good level of sweetness. We also added cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to give it a lovely autumnal flavor.
The end result is a pie that's perfect for cosy autumn evenings spent with friends or family. Delicious, comforting, and vegan-friendly too!
How to Make the Perfect Vegan Apple Pie Crust.
Now let's move on to the crust. This is where a lot of people go wrong, but it's actually really easy to make a vegan crust that tastes delicious.
All you need is a food processor and some simple ingredients: flour, vegan butter, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Process these together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then slowly add cold water until the dough comes together.
Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then roll out on a lightly floured surface and place in a 9-inch pie dish. Trim off any excess dough and crimp the edges. Blind bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
The Best Way to Slice and Prepare Your Apples.
When you're preparing your apples, it's important to slice them the right way. Here's how:
1. Start by peeling your apples.
2. Slice them into thin wedges.
3. Arrange the wedges in a circular pattern on the pie crust.
4. Once you've filled up the pie crust, tuck in the edges of the apple slices so they're all well-covered.
5. Bite into a perfectly-made vegan apple pie—with a delicious crust and juicy apples—and enjoy!
How to Bake the Perfect Vegan Apple Pie.
So, you want to bake the perfect vegan apple pie? Here's how:
1. Start by preheating your oven to about 190 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
3. Cut in 1/3 cup of cold vegan butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Stir in 3/4 cup of cold water until the dough comes together.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and fit it into a 9-inch pie dish.
6. Trim the excess dough and crimp the edges.
7. In another bowl, mix together 6 cups of peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg.
8. Pour the apple mixture into the pie dish and bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
9. Let the pie cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
What could be more cosy than curling up with a warm vegan apple pie on an autumn evening? This recipe is packed with autumnal spices and is sure to warm you up on a cold day. Best of all, it's easy to make and doesn't require any complicated ingredients.
So why not give it a try? We guarantee you'll love it!