Exfoliating dates back to Egyptian times when sand and other abrasive elements were used to remove dead skin cells. Cleopatra famously bathed in milk, the lactic acid serving as an exfoliant to give the Egyptian Queen unrivalled smooth, polished skin. Today, exfoliating is still as important for your skin and there are numerous benefits for all skin types, especially dry and more mature skin.
1. Exfoliating sloughs away old, dead skin cells which can make skin appear dull and dry. A build up of dead skin cells can also lead to clogged pores which can encourage blemishes or acne. So, exfoliate to keep your skin radiant and youthful looking!
2. Encourages cell renewal where healthy new cells replace old dead cells to give you a more radiant, brighter complexion. As we age, our skin is slower to shed these cells and exfoliating helps uncover fresh, new cells quickly.
3. Exfoliating maximises the effect of follow-on products as your skin is now primed to absorb all the goodness from other products. There's basically no dead skin cells acting as a barrier! You'll also find that you'll need to use less follow-on product, so your products will last longer!
4. Gives a deep thorough cleanse to your skin, removing any residual makeup, surface level dirt and even SPF that can be a little bit tackier on the skin and harder to remove.
5. Exfoliating allows for a more flawless makeup application as makeup sits better on skin that is smooth and polished.
Does everybody need to exfoliate?
Yes, everybody should exfoliate, no matter what your skin type. Everyone has dead skin cells so your skin will benefit from having them removed for all of the reasons discussed above.
How often should I exfoliate?
We recommend exfoliating your face once or twice week with a gentle exfoliator such as Elemental Exfoliating Powder. If you find that your skin is drier though, you may need to exfoliate more often. Remember, you are the best judge of your skin so you know best! We wouldn't recommend exfoliating daily however.
Beware of over exfoliating your skin as it may result in redness, sensitivity and irritation. If this occurs, give your skin a break from exfoliating for a week and then introduce it again.
Elemental Exfoliating Powder
Dr. Joanne Reilly, founder of Kinvara Skincare, formulated a gentle, powder exfoliator with seaweed and Vitamin C. Elemental Exfoliating Powder is a superfine powder that activates when mixed with water before applying to your face.
There's no need to vigorously rub it into your skin. Just massage it in gently and enjoy it. There's a lovely Eco-Cert approved surfactant in it which is going to help wash it off really cleanly, leave your skin feeling really super clean, but not stripped. And as it's grain free, there are no grains left behind in your eyebrows or your hairline, so you're good to go and follow on with your next product.